Welcome to My Blurb

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Got a Picky Eater?

Let's face it, raising little ones has a plethora of challenges. One of which can be getting them to eat!

I face this challenge on a daily basis with my daycare baby, Reagan. She's a charmer, but not a big eater. Today, I made a loaf of half-whole wheat, half-white bread (in my thrift store bread machine that I paid less than five bucks for).
I was amazed at how much she liked it! I let her eat as much as she wanted, lightly buttered.
Her mom was shocked that she liked it as well.

That's just how it is with little ones. Sometimes even the most particular eaters will surprise you and enjoy some very healthy foods. But, you'll never know unless you try. Some parents become frustrated and serve only sugary foods to a picky eater. I think that's a mistake and a very bad habit. For instance, those "milk shakes" that the grocery stores sell to "supplement" your child's lacking diet. What on earth! So, if a child won't eat healthy foods, we substitute by giving them milk shakes? I think not. I'm not trying to judge. I know it can be very stressful when a little one doesn't seem to be eating much. But, to only offer her sugary foods would be counter intuitive. It satiates her appetite, but doesn't meet her nutritional needs. I submit that it is well worth taking the time and patience to continue offering new and different kinds of foods to small children to see which ones will stick. I also recommend that you use common sense. Don't start with arugula or radishes. I also refuse to give Reagan milk at the beginning of the meal as this tends to fill up her tummy and doesn't provide her with everything she needs from her food. Rather, giving foods first, with a glass of water, and milk later in the meal or even between meals with a snack seems to keep her eating more foods and relying less on her "Ba Ba".

Just a friendly reminder to not give up and keep trying different foods with young children. They may surprise you.

No comments:

Post a Comment